Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

RECAP | Scots Cash in on Set Pieces to Upend Grizzlies on Sunday

Lilly Haines. Photo: Quinn Fitzgerald
Lilly Haines. Photo: Quinn Fitzgerald

FRANKLIN, Ind. – The Franklin women's soccer team opened a brief two-match home stretch on Sunday (Sept. 15) morning, taking on the Alma College Scots.

The Grizzlies (0-5-1) controlled the possession for most of the game and held an advantage on the shot sheet when the game concluded. But two Alma (3-2-1) goals off set pieces less than a minute apart early in the second half coupled a few bad bounces in their opponent's end gave the guests a 2-0 win.

Early on, the Grizzlies had the better of the scoring chances. The team's best chance of the afternoon came just 9:38 in, when Jalynn Gorman ripped a right-footed shot past the Alma goalkeeper. Unfortunately, that attempt bounced off the crossbar and out of harm's way.

Franklin kept the pressure on the Scots with Lilly Haines, Elaina Page and Gorman all putting shots on target over the next eight minutes, but the game remained scoreless. The final 25 minutes of the opening half were a defensive battle that saw neither team concede a shot and the game remained scoreless after 45 minutes.

The Scots got both of their goals in the opening four minutes of the second half. The first came on a header on a second ball off a corner kick in the 48th minute and 55 seconds later, Alma added an insurance marker with ball headed in off a free kick. Franklin fired eight shots over the final 40 minutes of action, but came up empty on the score sheet.

Final shots were 12-10 in Franklin's favor with the Scots holding a 6-4 edge in shots on goal. Haines was around the ball all afternoon, recording a season-high five shot attempts. Gorman was one shot behind her on the shot sheet, recording four shot attempts with one shot on goal. Lexi Short turned aside four shots in goal for Franklin.

The Grizzlies wrap up their brief homestand on Wednesday (Sept. 18) night, when they welcome Denison to Faught Stadium for a 7:30 kick-off.