Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

RECAP | Grizzlies Bested by HCAC Co-Leading Engineers on Wednesday Evening

Jake Hendricks. Photo: Britany App
Jake Hendricks. Photo: Britany App

FRANKLIN, Ind. – The Franklin men's soccer team played the first of two straight home contests on Wednesday (Oct. 23) night, welcoming one of the top teams in the Heartland Collegiate Athletic Conference (HCAC) in Rose-Hulman to Faught Stadium.

The Grizzlies (4-13, 1-5 HCAC) kept the league co-leading Engineers (12-3, 5-1 HCAC) at bay until a penalty kick goal mid-way through the first half. Rose added a pair of insurance goals in the final 45, closing out a 3-0 win.

Both goalkeepers needed to be sharp in the early going and were with Franklin's Jake Hendricks stopping three shots in the opening 15 minutes and Rose's Pascal Schlee turning aside the Grizzlies' first quality chance of the night in the sixth minute. The game remained nil-nil until the 24th minute, when the Grizzlies were called for a hand ball in the 18-yard box, setting up Eric Kirby's penalty kick goal.

The Grizzlies kept Rose in check for the rest of the half and only trailed by a goal after 45 minutes of play. Franklin nearly evened things up in the 52nd minute off a crossing feed, but Tyler Majeski's header on target was turned aside by Schlee.

Less than five minutes later, the Engineers added to their lead on a perfectly-placed shot by Sam Alvares and did so again in the 70th minute on what would be the final shot attempt of the night.

Hendricks had a strong night in goal, turning back six Rose shots while making a trio of highlight-reel saves. Jordan Thomas led all FC attackers with two shot attempts and was one of four players with an scoring attempt on the night.

The Grizzlies close out their home schedule on Saturday (Oct. 26) night, when they welcome the Earlham Quakers to Faught Stadium to close out a triple-header on the turf. Kick-off is set for approximately 8:30 p.m. immediately following the women's soccer game.