Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

RECAP | Grizzlies Overwhelm Beavers, Earn Shutout Win on Homecoming Night

Trevor Bray. Photo: Quinn Fitzgerald
Trevor Bray. Photo: Quinn Fitzgerald

FRANKLIN, Ind. – Playing in front of a strong home crowd on a frigid night at Faught Stadium, the Franklin men's soccer team picked up their first conference win of the year in dominant fashion to close out homecoming Saturday.

The Grizzlies (4-10, 1-2 HCAC) scored two early goals and kept scoring chances against to a minimum, setting the tone for a 3-0 blanking of the Bluffton Beavers (5-8, 0-3 HCAC). Jordan Thomas, Garrett Snyder and Trevor Bray all found the back of the net for the Grizzlies with Thomas recording a four-point night thanks to a pair of assists. 

Franklin wasted little time getting on the board when Thomas opened the scoring just 6:49 into the game. The senior controlled the ball near the Bluffton end line before letting go a shot that had enough spin on it to skip into the net for his fifth of the year. In the 21st minute, Thomas set up the Grizzlies' second goal of the night when his right wing centering pass found a wide-open Synder, who buried the feed for his fourth goal of the year in the 21st minute.

The Grizzlies' defense kept the lead at a pair through the rest of the half by putting on a defensive clinic and limiting the Beavers to just three first half shot attempts. Just 3:32 into the second half, Bray took a Thomas feed on the right wing and ripped a low shot past the Bluffton defense for his first career tally and a three-goal lead. 

That proved to be more than enough offense for the Grizzlies, who turned their attention to preserving Clark's shutout. Franklin kept the Beavers' scoring chances to long shots before Clark was called on in the final two minutes to make a bang-bang save that kept his first career clean sheet intact. 
Clark finished the night with five saves, making four stops over the final 45 minutes to improve to 2-5 on the year. Shots were 15-11 in Franklin's favor with Thomas' three attempts leading all FC players.
The Grizzlies hit the road for their next two contests, the first coming on Wednesday (Oct. 16) afternoon when they take on the Manchester Spartans. The opening whistle from North Manchester, Ind. is set for 4:00 p.m.