Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

RECAP | Quakers Sink Grizzlies in Overtime

Photo courtesy of Jimmy Phillips
Photo courtesy of Jimmy Phillips

Score: Franklin 1 | Earlham 2 (OT)
Records: Franklin 1-14, 0-7 HCAC | Earlham 3-11-1, 3-3-1 HCAC
Location: Matlack Messer Stadium | Richmond, Ind.

RICHMOND, Ind. - Playing in their final road match of the season, the Franklin College men's soccer team battled the Earlham Quakers on Saturday afternoon at Matlack Messer Stadium.

Sam Stallsmith potted Franklin's lone goal of the afternoon early in the second half, but the Grizzlies fell victim to a late equalizer and the eventual game-winner in the first minute of overtime as Earlham escaped with a 2-1 win.

Early chances favored the Quakers as Earlham hit one post and had two shots on goal stopped by Garrett Belden in the opening 18 minutes. Franklin's best chance in the opening half came right before the end of the period when Andrew Vidal launched a shot over the crossbar in the 44th minute.

The Grizzlies broke through just two minutes into the second half when Stallsmith busted through the Earlham defense and fired a shot into the bottom left hand corner of the net to put Franklin up by a goal. Franklin kept the pressure on after the opening tally, but shots from Cody Cody Coppess and Stallsmith were turned aside by Nicola Manni, keeping the game 1-0 after 60 minutes.

That lead would stand until the 83rd minute when the Quakers broke through for the equalizer from Joel Michael Nti-Kye. Earlham would end things less than a minute into extra time on a goal from Yuki Adams.

Earlham finished with a 21-10 edge in shot attempts and a 7-4 lead in shots on goal. Stallsmith led the Grizzlies with three attempts while Trey Floyd finished with a pair of chances. In goal, Garrett Belden made five saves for the Grizzlies.

Franklin returns to action at Faught Stadium this coming Wednesday (Oct. 25) night, hosting Rose-Hulman for the first of two home matches to close out the year. Kickoff is set for 7:30 p.m.