Franklin College recognized 46 alumni and former coaches who have been inducted into Indiana and national athletic halls of fames in a special campus ceremony on Saturday, September 24.
A plaque with all of the hall of famers’ names will be unveiled at 11 a.m. in the lobby of Spurlock Center. Several distinguished alumni along with their families and friends will join Franklin College officials at the dedication event.
“Athletics have played an important role in the experience of many Franklin College students,” said Franklin College President Dr. Thomas J. Minar, Ph.D. “We are pleased to recognize the outstanding accomplishments of these alumni and proud to have so many Grizzlies recognized at the state and national levels.”
Twenty-one Franklin alumni have been inducted into the Indiana Basketball Hall of Fame – more than such NCAA Division I colleges as the University of Notre Dame, IUPUI, and the University of Evansville.
“We are excited to add a permanent display on campus that highlights the impressive athletic achievements of Franklin College alumni,” said Franklin College Director of Athletics Kerry Prather. “As athletes and coaches, they have distinguished themselves disproportionately across several sports for an institution our size.”
He added, “This project has been an exciting venture into our athletic heritage, and it will serve as an inspiration to current and future student-athletes. We look forward to welcoming many of the honorees and their families and friends back to campus for the dedication.”
Franklin has a member of the Indiana Hall of Fame in the following sports: basketball, football, track and field, and volleyball.
Some other notable Hall of Famers for Franklin have included the following:
- Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame – Robert “Fuzzy” Vandivier ’26, a member of Franklin’s Wonder Five team and 1923 national championship team. He was inducted in 1975.
- College Football Hall of Fame – Dr. Brad Crawford ’78, D.D.S., inducted in 2000.
- USA Track and Field Officials Hall of Fame – Keith Mitchell ’56, inducted in 2009.
- NAIA Football Hall of Fame – Former Head Coach Stewart “Red” Faught (H.D. ‘04), inducted in 1978.
- NAIA Track and Field – Loyd G. Smith ’51, inducted in 2008.
- Indiana Basketball and Indiana Association of Track and Cross Country Coaches Hall of Fame – Carol Tumey ’63, inducted into the Indiana Basketball Hall of Fame in 2011 and was later inducted into the Indiana Track and Field Hall of Fame in 2014. She is one of four inducted into multiple hall of fames.